Storing data in Postgres, with migrations, outside of Rails
- Download and install PostgreSQL (see show notes)
- Clone, fork this repo and copy the config/database.yml.sample to config/database.yml, edit with values
- Add 2 more TV shows to the seeds file
- When I run
ruby watchman.rb, Have it output all TV shows
- Ask the user what day they want to watch shows?
- Output only the shows matching that day of the week
- Create a table (using the migrations) which represents a hobby of yours: Fishing, Sports, Cooking, etc.
- When I run ruby watchman.rb
- Fill the table with 5 records (Recipe.create)
- Have it show me all the records, with a nicely implemented to_s method
- Ask me (the user) what I want to show. Example, if you have Recipe with :name and :ingredients:
[Recipes.all] "Cornbread Muffins", [corn, butter, oil] "Tacos", [tortilla, avacado, shrimp] What would you like to learn more about? #[editor: if I enter "Tacos" I'll see the Tacos recipe. If I enter nutella, I see "sorry Dave, I can't do that right now"]
- Postgres for Mac Installer
- Postgres for Windows Installer
- Mac types can also:
brew install postgresbut the oneclick is very nice.
Copyright: Jesse Wolgamott, MIT License (See LICENSE)